The town of Dewey Beach is seeking a Town Manager. Dewey Beach is a coastal town in southern Delaware located on a small strip of land approximately one mile long and two blocks wide and situated between the Atlantic Ocean to the east and the Rehoboth Bay on its western border. The town has approximately 300 year-round residents but the town has a lively summer population which swells to around 30,000 summer residents and weekend visitors.
Dewey Beach operates under the supervision of a town council and mayoral form of government with an annual budget of $3.5 million. The town workforce is comprised of full-time, part-time and seasonal employees providing municipal services including police, beach patrol, public works, code enforcement, finance, and administrative services. Public utilities are handled by other entities.
The Town Manager performs complex executive tasks and will be responsible for all aspects involved with the coordination and management of Town business, finance and administration. The Town Manager prepares and administers the annual budget, supervises all staff departments and represents the Town governing body to the public and other governing bodies at county, state and federal levels. The Town Manager assists the Town Council and Mayor with governance, planning, organizing and directing town projects, events, services, programs, and related work as assigned or required. The Town Manager also leads the Town’s economic development efforts and maintains a close working relationship with the local business community. This is an FLSA-exempt position. Working hours will vary as dictated by Town needs including likely night and weekend work during the summer months. The candidate will also be required to be “on call” in the event of an emergency. This position offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Candidate knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree (master’s degree preferred) with course work in Public Administration, Business Administration, Government, Finance or related fields; equivalent professional experience may be considered
- 5+ years work experience in town or municipal government with management responsibilities; equivalent private management experience may be considered
- Experience and/or education with planning & zoning, grant writing, emergency response plans, economic development, labor relations, project management, and cybersecurity best practices preferred
- Strong finance and budget experience/skills
- Proficient communication skills within organization and with public.
- Proficiency with MS Office software suite including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Working knowledge of Edmunds or Quickbooks and Quickbooks reports preferred
- Successful completion of National Incident Management Systems (NIMS) training is preferred
- Certified Public Manager credentials or state equivalent is preferred
- Familiarity with seasonal beach community issues a plus
- Successful candidate required to undergo a complete background and credit check, along with drug screening as a part of the hiring process.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
To be considered, please submit a cover letter, detailed resume and a minimum of 3 professional references to:
Town of Dewey Beach
c/o Search Committee Chair
105 Rodney Ave.
Dewey Beach, DE 19971
This posting will be valid until position is filled.