The DAPA Public Service Award
The DAPA Public Service Award was developed almost 40 years ago to recognize a public administrator who has made substantial contributions to professional public management and service in Delaware. The first award was presented in 1974, and the criteria established for the first award continues to guide the selection process for the DAPA Council, which now selects the recipient.
Awards winners are selected from all levels of public service—local, state, and federal government and nonprofit organizations. Eligibility also includes individuals from the private sector who have made significant contributions in public service in Delaware. Nominees will be considered on the basis of two primary selection criteria: commitment and dedication to public service and/or leadership in public service. Specific examples of these criteria are provided below.
Commitment and Dedication to Public Service
- Has made a profound difference in improving service to the public
- Fostered a more democratic society
- Served as a champion of social equity
Leadership in Public Service
- Been willing to take risks to achieve change
- Changing the way a government or nonprofit organization operates
- Serving as a role model for other public servants
Nominations are being accepted until Thursday, October 24, 2019 and are to be submitted by email to Evan Miller at email@example.com or mailed to:
DAPA Awards Committee
Institute for Public Administration
180 Graham Hall
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716-7380
If you would like to nominate an individual, please send a cover letter, along with a one-page summary of the nominee’s contributions to public administration/management and service that explains his/her accomplishments—based on some or all of the aforementioned selection criteria. A resume or vita must also be included with the nomination packet.
PAST AWARD RECIPIENTS
- 2018 – Jennifer Cohan, Secretary, Delaware Department of Transportation
- 2017 – David Hugg, Acting Director of Planning, Inspections and Recreation for the City of Dover, Del.
- 2016 – Constance Holland, AICP, Director, Office of State Planning Coordination for the State of Delaware
- 2015 – The Honorable Rita M. Landgraf, Secretary, Delaware Department of Health and Social Services, and Dr. James P. Flynn, Ed.D., Assistant Professor, University of Delaware
- 2014 – Myrna Bair, Ph.D., Former Delaware Senator, and Director, Personal Leadership Development, Institute for Public Administration, University of Delaware, and Tania Culley, Esq., Child Advocate of Delaware
- 2013 – Lolita A. Lopez, President & CEO of Westside Family Healthcare
- 2012 – Peter T. Dalleo, Clerk of Court for the U. S. District of Delaware
- 2011 – Kim Book, Founder and Executive Director of Victims’ Voices Heard, Inc., and Roy Lopata, former Planning Director for the City of Newark
The award is presented at the DAPA Annual Dinner, which is usually held in December. For more information about this award, please contact DAPA Council Member Evan Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for taking part in this significant recognition program.