The DAPA Public Service Award
*Please be advised that DAPA will not be issuing awards in 2020, however, we are accepting nominations for awards in 2021*
The DAPA Public Service Award was developed almost 40 years ago to recognize a public administrator who has made substantial contributions to professional public management and service in Delaware. The first award was presented in 1974, and the criteria established for the first award continues to guide the selection process for the DAPA Council, which now selects the recipient.
Awards winners are selected from all levels of public service—local, state, and federal government and nonprofit organizations. Eligibility also includes individuals from the private sector who have made significant contributions in public service in Delaware. Nominees will be considered on the basis of two primary selection criteria: commitment and dedication to public service and/or leadership in public service. Specific examples of these criteria are provided below.
Commitment and Dedication to Public Service
- Has made a profound difference in improving service to the public
- Fostered a more democratic society
- Served as a champion of social equity
Leadership in Public Service
- Been willing to take risks to achieve change
- Changing the way a government or nonprofit organization operates
- Serving as a role model for other public servants
PAST AWARD RECIPIENTS
- 2018 – Jennifer Cohan, Secretary, Delaware Department of Transportation
- 2017 – David Hugg, Acting Director of Planning, Inspections and Recreation for the City of Dover, Del.
- 2016 – Constance Holland, AICP, Director, Office of State Planning Coordination for the State of Delaware
- 2015 – The Honorable Rita M. Landgraf, Secretary, Delaware Department of Health and Social Services, and Dr. James P. Flynn, Ed.D., Assistant Professor, University of Delaware
- 2014 – Myrna Bair, Ph.D., Former Delaware Senator, and Director, Personal Leadership Development, Institute for Public Administration, University of Delaware, and Tania Culley, Esq., Child Advocate of Delaware
- 2013 – Lolita A. Lopez, President & CEO of Westside Family Healthcare
- 2012 – Peter T. Dalleo, Clerk of Court for the U. S. District of Delaware
- 2011 – Kim Book, Founder and Executive Director of Victims’ Voices Heard, Inc., and Roy Lopata, former Planning Director for the City of Newark
The award is presented at the DAPA Annual Dinner, which is usually held in December. For more information about this award, please contact DAPA Council Member Evan Miller at [email protected]. Thank you for taking part in this significant recognition program.
Congratulations to Bert Scoglietti, DAPA's 2019 Public Service Award Winner!
Bert Scoglietti is currently the Director of Policy and External Affairs for the State of Delaware’s Office of Management and Budget. Bert has been with the Office of Management and Budget and the former state Budget Office in various capacities for over 30 years. Bert holds a bachelor’s degree in chemistry from St. Vincent College and pursued graduate studies at the Katz School of Business at the University of Pittsburgh.
From the nominator:
“Bert has worked in state finance offices for decades and knows everything about the State of Delaware financial administrative process. AND, Bert has always said yes to every request to help educate students and local officials on this process.”