The Town of Smyrna, DE is currently recruiting for a Town Manager. The Town Manager shall be the chief administrative official of the Town and will be responsible to the Town Council for the administration of all town affairs placed in that person's charge by or under the Town Charter. For more information and to apply, click here.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the Town Council to prepare new administrative code and amendments to existing code as required to support the proper function and growth of the Town and ensure the faithful execution of the Town Charter, Town Code, and directives of the Town Council
- Attend all meetings of the Town Council and attend meetings of Town committees and commissions as appropriate to ensure the proper function and effective work of the Council and committees/commissions
- Provide direction and ultimate responsibility for the administration of all Town departments and agencies except where otherwise provided by Town Charter or State Law
Financial Management –
- Keep the Council fully advised as to the financial condition and future needs of the Town and make recommendations to the council concerning the affairs of the Town as appropriate
- Work with the Director of Finance and Finance Committee to prepare and submit the next years Annual Budget and a 5-year Capital Improvement plan to Council no later than November 1st of the current year
- Provide monthly financial reports to the Council and make available to the Council and general public a complete report of financial and administrative activities of the Town at the end of each fiscal year
- Make available other reports that Council might request regarding the operations of Town departments, offices and agencies as needed by the Council to provide direction for Town administration
- Monitor all purchases and execute contracts on behalf of the Town for supplies, services, improvements or other needs while following all appropriation, notification and bidding processes as required by Town Code and State Law
- Plan for the future needs of the Town by supporting planning staff and facilitating the smart use of zoning, annexation, taxation, utility studies, and ordinances with an eye towards sustainability and conscious growth
- Work with the Human Resource Director/Manager to oversee all hiring and training of staff to fill positions authorized by the Town Council as well as recommend and execute improvement plans, disciplinary actions, transfers, suspensions and removals of staff as needed to maintain the welfare of the Town (Does Not Include Police Chief, Police Officers or Staff)
- Conduct managers meetings at least monthly or more frequently as needed to ensure proper operations and support for Town departments
- Serve as an advocate for the Town by representing Council at various Federal, State, and County functions, legislative functions, community organizations and events, and professional meetings; and otherwise keeps abreast of modern developments in municipal government
- Actively promote the Town and town resources to attract suitable business and residential development, and work with County and State economic development agencies to ensure that Smyrna is represented well in economic development activities
- Perform other duties as needed for the effective operations of the town, including receiving service of summons on behalf of the town and managing citizen complaints and problems as appropriate
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Business, Leadership or related field, with Master’s degree in Public Administration, Public Policy or Business Administration preferred; five years senior management experience (preferably in municipal government); OR 8 years equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates possession of the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Superb verbal and written communications skills are a must, with high level proficinecy in Microsoft Office Suite prefered.
- Thorough knowledge of public administration, including personnel management, financial management and public sector management principals, policies and practices; the ability to interpret and apply municipal policies and procedures, Town ordinances and Federal and State statutes. Ability to plan, organize, supervise and inspect the work of professional, technical and support personnel; ability to delegate responsibility. Ability to prepare and present technical and statistical reports; ability to negotiate and resolve disputes effectively; ability to exercise creativity and initiative in resolving Town problems and issues and in carrying out administrative responsibilities. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, Town officials, the business community, the general public and State, Regional and Federal officials.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Delaware driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to the Town’s insurer of vehicles
- Must have within 1-year residence at reasonable distance to town to be able to respond promptly to emergancies and ensure visability as an active member of the community by attending town and community events on a regular basis
For more information and to apply, click here.