The Town of Bridgeville is hiring for a full-time hourly position within the Public Works Department (water, sewer, and streets). Must be able to acquire and maintain a valid Delaware Operators Base License within one year of hire. Experience working with meters and meter reading equipment is preferred but not required. The ideal applicant must be able to multi-task, carry out oral and written instructions, be self-motivated, and be a strong team player. Equipment operations experience, ability to lift 50 lbs, valid driver’s license, and high school diploma/equivalent are required. Must be able to work nights, weekends, and holidays when necessary.
- To Assist Water, Wastewater, and Street Departments with Daily operations.
- Operate all equipment assigned to each of the Public Works Departments;
- Ensure all equipment is properly maintained, cleaned, and ready for immediate use;
- Assists with the operation, non-major repair, and maintenance of all municipal buildings, grounds, and equipment, including, but not limited to, the Wastewater Treatment Plant, Bridgeville Well Buildings, etc.;
- Assist with daily lab testing and the recording of the results thereof, as directed by Department Superintendents;
- Assist with the reading of water meters;
- Assist with the cleaning of storm drains, sewer systems, water mains;
- Assist with the maintenance of fire hydrants, valves, water, and sewer mains/lines, and perform maintenance on all;
- Follow all safety rules and regulations
- Must be able to lift fifty (50) pounds;
- Assist all Town personnel in emergency situations;
- Assist with keeping all shop and storage areas clean and neat;
- Assist with lawn care and building/grounds maintenance;
- Perform such other duties that may be assigned by the Department Superintendents or Town Manager.
- Assist with snow and ice removal and plowing Municipal grounds and streets.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Working knowledge of each public works department. Ability to follow instructions and to carry out assignments to completion. Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions. Be able to work independently. Have the safety skills necessary to work responsibly. Ability to maintain effective relations with other Town employees. Ability to deal professionally with the public.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent. Public Works experience preferred. Must be able to acquire and maintain a valid Delaware Base Level Water Operator’s License.
- Active State of Delaware Base Level Water Operator License
- The appropriate driver’s license that would allow one to obtain a CDL to operate heavy equipment. Must be available to assist Town personnel in emergency situations. Must be available to perform weekend monitoring, etc.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here represent those employees encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, extreme heat, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Salary is dependent upon experience and includes a competitive benefits package. Employment is contingent upon the ability to pass drug screening and background check. The Town of Bridgeville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. An application and job description are posted online at www.bridgeville.delaware.gov. Submissions should be sent to the attention of Town Manager Bethany DeBussy, Town of Bridgeville, 101 N. Main St., Bridgeville, DE 19933, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to apply is December 4, 2020.