The City of Harrington is looking for qualified individuals to fill the position of Clerk of Council/Administrative Assistant. This individual is responsible for keeping a record of the proceedings of the City Council and Committee meetings and performs such other duties and have such powers as may be prescribed by Ordinance or City Charter to include accounts receivable and accounts payable duties for the City.
Supervision Received: Works under the general supervision of the City Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain a record of the proceedings of City Council and Committee meetings
- Prepare and post agendas for all City Council and Committee meetings for approval by Mayor, City Manager, or Committee Chairman within a legal timeframe
- Prepares packets for members of City Council and Committee members for upcoming meetings
- Manage City Municipal, Referendum, and Annexation Elections, including the establishment of City Election Board and Workers for approval by Council
- Prepares Proclamations, Tributes, and other legal documents as needed, typically using Microsoft Office or similar software packages
- Prepares Resolutions and Ordinances with all associated paperwork, filings and publishing
- Coordinates Mayor’s Prayer Breakfast as well as other City functions and ceremonies
- Prepares correspondence from Mayor or City Manager
- Coordinates marquee sign
- Enters property tax, utility and other payments into Edmunds software system.
- Prepares daily bank deposit
- Serves as a contact person with the public regarding a variety of inquiries via telephone, e-mail or in person
- Processing business, rental, and contractor licenses
- Performs mathematical calculations relative to property taxes, utilities, licensing fees, penalties and interest
- Assist with monthly, quarterly, and annually accounts receivable billings as needed
- Assist with accounts payable:
- Enter invoices into Edmunds
- Reconcile monthly billing statements
- Prepare check runs on an as needed basis
- Code invoices upon receipt and disburse to appropriate departments for approval
- Maintains and controls data and/or filing systems to ensure effective, accurate and easily retrievable documentation of operations, programs, and project activities
- Obtains, organizes, and drafts technical and administrative material necessary for public information or departmental use. Collects and compiles data to prepare reports, community newsletters, and provide supporting documentation
- Performs routine maintenance to City website and City Facebook page on an as needed basis
- Maintains inventory of United States, State of Delaware, and City flags
- Performs related work as required to assist City Manager, City Clerk, and Finance Director
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City Council, Committee members, supervisor, City staff members, State & County Officials, and the general public
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to prepare written correspondence using proper rules of grammar and syntax
- Ability to transcribe thorough and accurate minutes of Council and Committee meetings
- Working knowledge of Council procedures
- Ability to maintain accurate municipal records
- Ability to retrieve City records pertinent to requests received from internal and external clients
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- Working knowledge of Federal, State, and County laws as they pertain to municipalities
- Ability to coordinate major City events
- Ability to meet deadlines in a timely fashion
- Strong cash-handling skills and abilities
- Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures
- Must maintain high levels of accuracy and organizational skills
- Knowledge of General Code procedures
- Working knowledge of general accounting procedures
- Ability to maintain efficient and effective systems and procedures
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality regarding material of potentially sensitive nature
- Knowledge of a variety of computerized applications
- Ability to present a professional image. Must attend evening Council, Committee, Planning, and Board of Adjustment meetings
Desired Education & Experience
- A high school diploma; and
- Three (3) years of related State or municipal experience; or
- Any equivalent combination of education and progressively responsible experience.
Special Requirements: Must obtain a current Criminal History Back Ground check. Must have a valid driver’s license.
Tools & Equipment Used: Computer/laptop, including word processing software (currently MS Office), phone, copy machine, fax machine, scanner, Marantz professional minute machine.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to an individual with disabilities to perform essential functions. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 or more pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is relatively quiet.
Formal application, submission of resume, rating of education and experience; oral interviews and reference check; job related tests may be required. Final selection is recommended by the City Manager to the Personnel Committee and City Council for final action. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.