Executive Director Job Description
Downtown Milford, Inc.
Job Summary: The Executive Director of Downtown Milford, Inc. (DMI), a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit, designated Delaware Main Street program, is responsible for creating and managing programs and projects that continually promote quality civic, economic, commercial and cultural development of the central business district in Milford, Delaware through concentrated efforts in economic development, organization, design, and promotion. Milford, Delaware is a traditional downtown in central Delaware with a population of 9,993, approximately 140 businesses in the central business district, a Riverwalk, and a variety of arts assets. Milford has recently been named one of the top places to live in Delaware, with Delaware itself being named a top state to retire in the country.
Job Knowledge and Skills Required: Successful candidates will possess strong written and oral communication, project management, and organizational skills with experience in or a strong understanding of several or all of the following areas: small business development/recruitment, public relations, economic development, volunteer management, fundraising, grant writing or non-profit management. Experience in historic preservation, marketing, and virtual and live event planning is a plus. The Director must be well-organized, energetic, self-motivated, entrepreneurial, and be able to work well with a diverse group of city/county/state leaders, businesses, volunteers, and community groups. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience preferred, as is affiliation with or strong working knowledge of the National Main Street program.
Please Note: Economic development, particularly the strengthening of the downtown business core, is of paramount importance with this position. The successful candidate will be expected to routinely assess needs of existing businesses, to help them stabilize and expand, as well as help attract new businesses to downtown
Range of Duties:
- Pursue increasing expertise in implementation of the Main Street™ model of downtown revitalization.
- Coordinate activity of the Main Street program by establishing and maintaining open lines of communication with committees, assisting with creation and implementation of work plans, providing ongoing volunteer support, and attending committee and City meetings.
- Develop and maintain a strong Main Street organizational structure for a sustainable economic development efforts, with a focus on ensuring that all organizational resources (partners, funding, volunteers, etc.) are mobilized effectively and in coordination with the City of Milford’s economic development activities. Assist with implementation of a plan to recruit, manage, and recognize volunteers including members of the various committees as well as short-term volunteers.
- Develop and conduct ongoing public awareness of DMI’s activities by developing strong working relationships with state/county/local officials and agencies, community groups, local business and property owners, community stakeholders, and press contacts. Foster public and business community understanding of Main Street’s mission and goals, keeping the program positively in the public eye, and maintaining a cooperative relationship with the media.
- Assist Board of Directors and committees with fundraising activities, including developing and expanding funding sources and preparing grant applications.
- Manage administrative aspects of the program with key board and committee members including: record-keeping and accounting, budget development, grant administration, purchasing, preparing and filing reports, collection of key statistics for quarterly report to the State of Delaware and the City of Milford, and work-plan development.
- Coordinate maintenance of the DMI-leased building. Supervise one administrative staff person.
- Serve as an advocate for downtown and economic development issues at local and state/ county levels through familiarity with, and understanding of, local concerns and issues; speak effectively on program’s goals, issues, and results; and work to improve public policy relating to the downtown area.
- Serve as a liaison with the City of Milford on downtown projects, economic development initiatives and other activities that advance the goals of DMI and the City.
- Direct business retention, expansion and recruitment efforts by providing information, expertise, and referrals to business owners; market Downtown Milford as a destination and business culture; work with building owners to enhance the quality of retail and commercial space, coordinate business improvement trainings; oversee incentive program to encourage investment in the downtown; ensure investors are aware of Downtown District Designation (DDD) and value thereof.
- Participate in statewide and national training opportunities as a means of engaging in ongoing professional development and networking, and to promote professional effectiveness. Effectively transfer that information to volunteers of the program through training and to successfully transform ideas into DMI activities and projects.
Compensation: $38,000-$42,000 Annual Salary Determined Based on Qualifications, Paid Vacation & Holidays, Sick Leave, Flex-Time. Health insurance is negotiable.
Work Schedule: This is a full-time, salaried position. Hours will include nights and weekends as necessary for committee meetings and program events, with the ability for flex and comp time.
Please send resume, cover letter, specific examples of business recruitment/retention efforts and accomplishments, and three (3) references electronically (preferred method) to jobsearch@ downtownmilford.org, with subject line to read JOB SEARCH.
Alternatively, materials may be sent by mail to: Executive Director Search Downtown Milford, Inc. P.O. Box 12, Milford, DE 19963
Questions about the position should be in writing and submitted electronically to: email@example.com. No calls to DMI will be accepted.
Submissions preferred by noon September 23, 2020, though position will remain open until
qualified candidate is secured. AA/EOE.