The City of Dover seeks a proven, dedicated, responsive and experienced individual for the position of City Manager. The ideal candidate will be an experienced leader with a background in city management, local governance or public affairs. The candidate will be a strong leader, manager and administrator with excellent communication skills. The successful candidate will possess, as a minimum, a Bachelor’s degree in public administration, finance, business management or a closely related field. Master’s degree in public administration, finance, or business management is preferred. ICMA Credentialed Manager (ICMA-CM) preferred. The candidate should have a minimum of ten years’ experience. Desired characteristics, qualifications, and experience:
- Demonstrated strong financial and budget management skills with active participation and oversight, including long range capital facility needs planning and
financing, willingness and ability to present concise and understandable financial summaries to Council
- Impeccable integrity, committed to the high ethical standards of the local government management profession and transparent government operations, ability to establish high degree of credibility with citizens
- Thoughtful, visionary and creative
- Politically astute, but not political
- Experience with environmental issues, and knowledgeable about alternative energy issues, utility management (including electric), and information technology
- Demonstrated ability to help elected officials understand their roles and responsibilities, and keep them informed about significant long-term trends, opportunities and
challenges that should be addressed in the public interest, with adequate notice and opportunity for consideration of sound recommendations and alternatives, and skills to help build consensus.
- Knowledgeable in all aspects of local government
- Strong media relations, public presentation, written communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to be an effective spokesperson and ambassador for the City
- Experience with land use planning and economic development
- Demonstrated sound personnel management experience
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with the Mayor, City Council, City employees, other local and county, state and federal officials, as well as the community at large
- A strong commitment to diversity and inclusion
The City Manager is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the City Council. The Manager shall be chosen on the basis of his/her executive and administrative qualifications. The successful candidate shall be required to:
- Oversee and direct City operations
- Value diversity and inclusion through professional actions
- Responsible for creating and maintaining a productive, harmonious, and respectful work environment
- Advise and consult with elected and appointed officials, commissions, department heads, staff agencies, civic groups, individuals and others on issues, problems, strategies and policies related to City services.
- Direct City activities including customer service, emergency management, human resources, information technologies, library, public works, recreation, and utilities (electric, water and sewer). Demonstrate concern for employees’ success. Have strong understanding of leadership principles and practices.
- Oversee administrative matters such as developing and presenting City budgets, manage expenditures, develop and recommend City Capital Improvement Progarm
- Represent the City on regional and local boards or committees
- Perform long and short-range planning in collaboration with City Council, develop and implement new programs and services to support and encourage the City’s growth and development.
- Enforce municipal ordinances, Charter provisions, and other laws and regulations.
HOW TO APPLY
Resumes/letters should be sent (email preferred) by 5pm on September 18, 2020. Please include salary history and references. Send to:
David J. Deutsch,
Senior Vice President
The Mercer Group, Inc.
15 Cambridge Place
Ocean Pines, MD 21811
Cell phone: 301.343.6033